Fall in NYC + A good ol' ramble













I think it was in Anne Of Green Gables where I heard of the quote 'I'm glad I live in a world with Octobers.' Granted, October is almost over, but I loved every bit of it. Although NYC gets the color changing deal really late in comparison to anything north of us, it's still a nice, draw out fall. The air feels cleaner (this is a complete illusion, I'm sure it's just as polluted as it is every other day), but it's all crisp and cool and lovely.

I'm usually someone that HATES the cold (Chennai-ite through and through), but thankfully my body has adjusted pretty well. To the point where I find 5-10 C (I still don't understand Fahrenheit) pleasant. Thank god for that.

These pictures were taken one day after work where I had an hour before class. I work really close to Central Park so I walked down to it. Even on the way there, I could see that the leaves were still pretty green, but I decided to go anyway. I went to the duckpond and oh my Lord, it looked like a fairtytale. And it was just what I needed.

So to all of you who have asked me countless times what it's like living in NYC, I can answer that question a bit now.

It's insane. It's a crazy mix of good days, bad days, okay days and weird days. No two days will ever have you feeling the same. I'm someone that likes to spend 90% of my time in the city (I live in Queens for now) and I go there to find both inspiration and energy and peace and quiet. And the city can give you that. If Manhattan didn't have parks, I don't think I'd survive. If it didn't have parades, and art exhibits, and street performers and pop up shops, I don't think I'd survive that either.

I've been here three months now and I can safely say that even though I've valiantly tried to explore as much as I can, I think I've seen a grand total of 5% of NYC. Thankfully, I have more time left to do the other 95. There is so much to see, and it's always changing. As someone that loves being around people and good energy, it is the perfect place to be. I study fashion, so that helps too. And no, I haven't met Beyonce. Or Kendall Jenner. I have, however, seen Anna Wintour (safe to say my life was made that day).

This doesn't mean that it's a super easy place to live in, by any means. It can get a bit too much. There are people everywhere, all the time. I have a secret mental list of quiet spots that I haunt when I want to get away from it all. People can get very rude for no reason at all and you'll hear racist/sexist slurs on the subway all the time. I've (touch wood) never had anyone say anything at me, but I've witnessed some pretty bad stuff. Usually drunk people who just want to say something to be heard. But the awesome part is there's always someone that'll break it up and tell the person who's being insulted to come take their seat at the other end of the car so they don't have to listen to that crap.

This is not my first time living away from home, so luckily I didn't have issues with culture shock or adjustment. I know that there are a lot of people who get really nervous about living abroad and leaving their home country. Especially coming to NYC. Don't be! It isn't that bad, and if it is, it ALWAYS gets better. You just need to find what works for you! Be it your own little set of 'rituals', a list of your favorite haunts and of course, great friends.

The city has so much to offer, and I love my own company now. I think I tend to prefer it (at least I do), because there's a lot of NYC that you should experience alone. Book readings, museums, concerts in the park. It's taught me to be a lot more independent and value 'me-time'.

I honestly have wanted this since I was 14, and I feel like I'm living the dream at 23 (Okay, now I just feel old). New York can teach you so much, and I have so much more to learn from it!


Post a Comment

© Seriously Noir.. Design by Fearne.